The teacher curriculum includes a minimum of 1000 hours as follows:
1. 500 hours of Post Graduate School Training, that includes all subjects in the basic cosmetology curriculum in section 1175.530 including theory and practice. Presentation of material includes the concepts that are intended to be taught and the skills to be acquired during the various phases of basic education.
2. 20 Hours of Education Psychology, that shall include, but not limited to, topics in educational objectives, student characteristics and development, the learning process and evaluation of learning that relates to teaching. These hours are waived on behalf of Cosmetology Teacher Training students who have completed a course in Education Psychology at an accredited college or university.
3. 20 Hours of Teaching Methods (theory) that shall include, but is not limited to: topics in individual differences in learning, lesson planning and design, lesson delivery, assessment of learning performance, classroom management, student motivation and classroom climate. These hours shall be waived on behalf of Cosmetology Teacher Training students who have completed a course in Teaching Methods – Secondary Level at an accredited college or university.
4. 150 Hours of Application of Teaching Methods that include preparation and organization of subject matter which is presented on a unit by unit basis; and presentation of a subject matter through application of varied methods (lecture, demonstration, testing and assignments). Presentations must provide teaching objective to be accomplished and correlate theoretical with practical application.
5. 50 Hours of Business Methods that include inventory, record-keeping, interviewing, supplies, the Illinois Barber, Cosmetology Esthetics and Nail Technology Act of 1985 and 68 IL. Adm. Code 1175.
6. 260 Hours of Student Teaching under the on-site supervision of an Illinois licensed Cosmetology teacher. The student teacher shall present theoretical and practical demonstrations to students in the basic curriculum.
The State of Illinois allows individuals who have two (2) years of practical experience to be given credit for having completed the 500 hours of post-graduate training.
COVID-19 Coronavirus Update The campus is currently closed to students and guests until further notice.
Students can start classes almost any Tuesday!
For enrollment information call 708-636-4660 or fill out the Admissions Information Form
For the Cosmetology Course*Full-time Day