Fashion Week in New York is officially underway! It’s the perfect time to take a look back through the photos from runway shows like Valentino, Balenciaga and Gucci to recap some of the fall fashion that debuted earlier this year. To help you prepare for the trends your clients may be buzzing about and requesting you to duplicate in months to come, here’s an overview of predicted fall 2015 fashion trends:
- Get ready to give your hair dryer and flat iron a bit of a break. Time and again, stylists chose loose, textured do’s and loose waves to compliment floral bohemian styles and to balance out structured suits and a resurgence of military-themes coats and jackets.
- Complex up-dos continue to be a thing of the past, with many designers sparingly incorporating smaller versions of recently-popular fishtail braids into their models upswept hair.
- The bright hair color trend continues, albeit with an autumnal twist: expect requests for red-toned ombre color to match the changing leaves.
- Other trends: deep side parts, comb-over bangs, simple barrettes
- Lips and Nails: Neon is out, fruit and jewel tones are in: eggplant, more marsala, brick reds and blue-reds. A few "summertime holdover" colors: tangerine, pale pink, vibrant orchid
- Eyes: Bold lip color (as listed above) was predictably paired with nude or “no-makeup-look” eyes. Both structured and messy smoky eyeshadow looks are still popular (paired with nude lips), but there’s a twist: Makeup artists are reaching for pastel or neon shadows instead of traditional “smoky” colors like blacks, browns and greys
Colors, Accessories and Other Trends:
- Fire-engine red, cobalt, army green, canary yellow
- Embroidery, jewel-toned florals, silver & grey
- Capes, statement jewelry, gloves, pattern tights
- over-the-knee boots, low-heeled or flat boots
- short skirts, one-shouldered dresses
What this means for you: While the occasional “more is more” trend pops up every few seasons, balanced looks are back for this fall. Big, blingy statement jewelry (especially earrings) pairs well with simple up-dos and soft waves; two styles that are conveniently on-trend this season as well. Simplistic, youthful styling, such as leaving hair long with a deep side part, creates softness to counterbalance more mature lip colors or heavy, bright eye makeup.
Many clothing lines appear to have a busy look, with statement accessories, lots of patterns, and colorful fur accents. Rather than opting for a finished, fussy look from head-to-toe, makeup and hair designers are allowing the clothes to make the bold statement, while allowing just one hair or makeup element to “pop.”
As always, you can choose to follow trends, break the fashion “rules,” or maybe even start a new trend yourself. Just remember to let your client’s wishes steer your art and creativity, no matter what current trends are. However, if your clients do happen to hold fall 2015 runway trends in high regard, at least now you’ll be up-to-speed.