National Job Demand in the Cosmetology Industry, 2003
In January 2003, there were 1,604,502 professionals employed in the nation’s 312,959 beauty salons, barber shops, skin care salons, and nail salons. The typical salon is a small full service salon with 5 stations, 3 full-time professionals and 2 part-time professionals. Salon owners report an average of 155 clients per week.
There has been notable growth in the industry since 1999:
- The total number of salon professionals is up by 24%,
- The total number of salons is up by 5.6%
- The total number of charis of workstations is up by 9%,
- The number of employees leaving their positions is down by 12%, and
- The number of new hires is up 37% since 1999
The salon industry is a job-seekers market. Some 56% of the salon owners reporting theat they had job openings. More than 572,000 open positions were filled in 2002 with both experienced salon professionals changing positions (73% of the new hires) and with inexperienced professionals with less than one year’s experience (27% of the new hires). The supply does not appear to be keeping up with demand. Approximately 3 out of every 4 salon owners who looked for new employees in 2002 reported difficulty in finding qualified personnel.
Other key findings:
- 59% of salon owners classified their salons as a full-service salon, 18% as a haircutting salon, 4% as a nail salon and 5% as a barber shop.
- 57% of salon employees work full-time, 33% are part-time (20-30 hours), and 10% are low-time (less than 20 hours),
- The average salon income, including tips, is about $30,000-50,000 per year.
- While manicurists are currently only 10% of the current industry employees (up from 2.6% in 1999), some 16% of the anticipated vacancies, are for professionals with those skills.
For a more local approach read this similar article with information covering the state of Illinois only.
In This Section
Students can start classes almost any Tuesday!
For enrollment information call 708-636-4660 or fill out the Admissions Information Form
THREE Schedules Are Available
For the Cosmetology Course